Sunday, September 12, 2010

Eid Al Fotor


What a week this has been! First we had Monday off because the Muslim community ended Ramadan and then we had Friday off because the Muslim community celebrated Eid AlFotor which to my understanding is like Christmas to us! So as I was walking to the corner store, people were saying Bonne fete, Bonne Fete! Little kids shook my hand. People were dressed up in beautiful colors. Men and boys were wearing long tunics and many had the small round hats which added to the festive tone of the day. Music was playing in the streets and spilled out from people's homes. From my small balcony on the 5th floor, I can see that celebration is in the air! No one is selling items. The women are extravagantly dressed and not walking with banana trays on their heads...no, not today! I answered back: Bonne fete to anyone who addressed me and anyone who made eye contact.

Because of the feast of Eid Al Fotor,the school staff was invited to the Saudi Arabian ambassador's residence. What a feast that was! Trays and trays of food, boxes of chocolate and dates displayed everywhere in the living room along side Saudi jewelery. I remember the jewelery from my days living in Riyadh as it was quite elaborate yet cheap. His Excellency the ambassador and his youngest son Hussein were very gracious hosts. Hussein, a grade 10 student at our school spoke softly to Raymond asking if he was doing a good job of hosting! This was our exciting Friday night and our second outing and visit to someone's home. Seems like we "hang out" with ambassadors! This could make for a very interesting year!

No comments:

Post a Comment